~how I'm saving money this holiday season~

by - November 09, 2022

Not long ago, I ran a blog called One Cheap B*tch.  While the name raised quite a few eyebrows back then, the concept was simple: how to save more of your hard-earned money by creating your own home decor.  If you're like me, you're probably feeling the crush of the economy and wondering how you can save this holiday season.  I'm no financial expert.  I'm just a regular mom, but here's how I'm saving a little extra during these hard times.

1. eBay is not only ideal for selling unwanted clothing, electronics, etc., it's also great for finding affordable Christmas presents.  Case in point, I wanted to get my 17 year old Cards Against Humanity.  Target and Walmart are both selling it for $29.  Womp, womp.  I found a brand new, unopened box on eBay for $19 with free shipping!  I saved $10 right there.  Ditto for unopened boxes of Legos, Minecraft and more.  I prefer the Buy it Now option, but if you're patient, auctions can also save you a ton.  (And don't forget, you can make a little extra cash selling that J. Crew sweater you no longer wear or that gaming console that your kids outgrew.)

2. Get paid to shop.  I've been a member of Rakuten since it was Ebates!  Simply set-up an account and log onto their site before placing an online order.  They link up to most major retailers and you literally get cashback every time you shop.  In February and August, I get a big fat "check" delivered directly to my PayPal account.  You can also opt for an actual check.  Keep in mind, any returns will reduce your "check".  I also belong to a variety of affiliate shopping programs.  When someone buys something I've posted, I get a commission.  Commissions vary from program to program, and some make you wait until you've earned $100 before you get paid.

3. Shop your grocery store circulars.  Every Thursday night (most sales start on Friday), I sit down with a marker and circle everything I'm planning to buy.  And then I stick to it!  It's also helpful to plan out your meals for the week prior to shopping, so you know exactly what you need and if it's on sale.  I go to at least two different grocery stores in our area.  If something has a really good price, I stock up.  And don't forget your local Dollar Store.  We grab deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo and miscellaneous food items there.  Just be mindful of pricing.  The same can of vegetables for $1.25 at Dollar Tree can be on sale at your grocery store for 79 cents - or less.

4. Shop your local thrift store.  I'll admit, it's hard to not to go crazy over all of the holiday decor cuteness.  I often have to rein myself in.  That's where your local thrift store comes in.  As you know, for years I've been making my own holiday goodies from recycled thrift store finds.  These two pieces cost me $3 (along with another piece not shown).  All I need is some imagination and flat white spray paint, and I'll have some new holiday decor in no time.  If you must give in to the cuteness or aren't crafty, Target's Bullseye's Playground and Dollar Tree should scratch that itch.
5. Hold the line.  No, your kid doesn't need the latest iPhone, MacBook, etc.  A refurbished or used one works just as well and will save you lots of green.  One of my friends got a great deal on a MacBook for her college freshman simply because the box was opened.  You see where I'm going with this?  You'll be tempted by the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, but you might actually find better pricing at the end of the year.  If you just can't wait, use a price comparison website to ensure you're getting the best deals.  I'm a huge fan of RetailMeNot.com.  And if you're buying online, refer back to #2.

These are just a few ways I'll be saving money this holiday season.  Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!  (No, I don't get a commission for mentioning any of the websites in this post.)

Jeanine

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Great ideas jeanine! I do rakuten but I'll be waiting a while to make enough for a big fat check! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waiting is the hardest part, lol. Xoxoxo, Jeanine

      Delete

Your comments mean so much to me - thank you!