Dollar Store Matchbox Makeover

by - November 14, 2011

First I wanted to send a big thank you out to Karen at The Graphics Fairy for featuring my sled on today's Brag Monday.  It really made my day!  And thank you to everyone who left such lovely comments about it!

And now onto today's project.  I had a ton of leftover Dollar Store matchboxes from two years ago.  Yup, you read that right.  I bought them two years ago to do a copycat Country Living advent calendar and a bunch of them were still hanging around:
Today I wrapped each one in vintage sheet music and tied some with twine, and red, green and silver ribbon.  Some I just left plain, while others I stamped joyeux noel on or added a simple rhinestone.
Then I added some shredded sheet music to my apothecary jar.  Just enough to bulk up the bottom of the jar.  Then I carefully added each matchbox so they settled nicely on top.  I grabbed my favorite plaid fabric - yes the same one from the church thrift store fair! - and tied that to the front of the jar.
Oh yes, it's beginning to look a lot like Xmas here.  I am waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate but it is getting harder and harder!

Linking to: Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tuesday and My Uncommon Slice of Surburbia: Tuesdays Treasures.

Jeanine

You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. I think that your creative mind and hands are never idle girl! You are always coming up with something cute and simple. I love the little wrapped boxes inside the glass and topped off with the Christmasy fabric scarf.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thanks for visiting me at Visual Interest! And thank you for the kind compliments. Glad you'll be a follower! I'll follow you also. Glad I found your Blog! Lots of goodies for me to cover! ~Judy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with the apothecary jar, match boxes, and music! And the fabric!!! So great, just a small little taste of Christmas, not too much, just enough to get us through Thanksgiving :) BTW, that sled was AwEsOmE!!!!! Thanks for visiting me at Redo and leaving your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a clever idea! It IS getting harder and harder not to bust out the boxes of Christmas magic. I've already started making paper snowflakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. luv how you decorate the jar.
    Would luv for my readers to discover your blog, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting week!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely on a roll! I don't know if you will make it til Thanksgiving! I'm holding off until that Friday, too. Not sure how Black Friday traffic is here, but I'll just do my usual and stay home and decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I just saw tiny, little jewelry boxes at my local thrift store for 10 cents -- they would work perfectly with this! So many great possibilities -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! The sheet music makes it extra special.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me - thank you!