Thrift Store Wood Sled Makeover

by - November 06, 2011

It was a bit mild here today so I was able to get outside and do some spray painting.  First up was the little wood sled I got last weekend at a church thrift store fall festival.  I gave it a few coats of black paint:

Then I sanded some random edges to give it a more shabby look.  I traced some sheet music around the "seat" part and cut it out.  Break out the Mod Podge and add a coat to stick it to the wood and then another coat to seal it in.
While the Mod Podge was drying, I printed off the great vintage Santa image from the Graphics Fairy.  I glued that to the middle of the sheet music.
Then I tied on some twine and tea-stained red seam binding.  The faux pine cone and berries, I picked up from the dollar store.  Just slip that under the twine and seam binding.  Final touch was the joyeux noel tag clipped on with a French script clothes pin.

I may or may not add some glitter for a more sparkly look but I'm really pleased overall with the final look!  P.S. Now that my new blog has reached 200 followers, I'll be putting together that giveaway I mentioned a week or so ago!

Linking to Between Naps on the Porch: Met Monday and The Graphics Fairy: Brag Monday.

Jeanine

You May Also Like

17 comments

  1. That turned out really good! I love that image. I just have to find my little yard sale sled that I bought over the summer. Once I do, that will be getting a coat of paint and some fixing up. It will fit perfectly outside the front door here {and the front door is covered so it won't get messed up from the weather like it would have done at my old house}.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so cute and holiday-y! I can't wait to start bringing out my christmas decor! You're the blog I go to for holiday decor ideas, thanks Dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so sweet, that sale is really paying off! t.xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the sled turned out - the graphic is wonderful! I have christmas on my mind so much lately that I will probably be burned out before it arrives!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I can't believe it's only two months until Christmas!
    xo,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful makeover!! That really turned out cute!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.. I really do like that!.. the colors are perfect. I like the vibe on this... Good job!

    maddie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great project! I love how you combined so many great elements into it to make it so special. So well done!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! I also wanted to tell you that your blog is amazing. I look forward to following along and seeing more of your beautiful things to come.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way your sled turned out!
    I am a new follower! Love your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, gorgeous! (via Graphics Fairy)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on being FEATURED at BRAG MONDAY at GraphicsFairy! Karen really loved your project by the looks of it-- as did LOTS of other people!

    Big smiles for you,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on having your beauty featured on The Graphics Fairy!
    Have a great day!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in love with your Christmas sled, what a great idea! I love anything with vintage sheet music, and adore that santa image. Congrats on being featured over at the Graphics Fairy! What would we do with out Mod Podge and the GF??!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me - thank you!