Thrift Store Ice Skates

by - December 04, 2011

Although I haven't been ice skating in years and was never quite good at it, I do love the look of them in the wintertime.  This is a pair I did a couple of years ago when I first started blogging.  I had spied a similar pair in Romantic Homes and did a copycat you might remember from my old blog One Cheap B*tch:

Some of the glitter on the blades has started to wear off but I do still love the fur cuffs! 
I bought another pair of old skates from the church thrift store a couple of weeks ago.  They sat and sat until this week when Jill from The French Cupboard shared her French-inspired skates.  It was just the little nudge I needed to get started on this latest pair of skates.  Problem was they were in pretty bad shape so I had to spray paint them - the whole boot, blade and all.  Here is one of them now:
I love how Jill used twine to lace hers, and as luck would have it I had some, what I like to call, candy cane twine from Ikea.  I used that to lace them up.
I tied a Joyeux Noel coffee tag around the front of the boot, and stuffed some tissue paper in the top since I didn't want to use fur again.  Then I added some random Xmas balls and faux branches, pine cones and berries from the Dollar Store on top.
Meanwhile, this is the other boot - patiently awaiting its complete makeover.  =)

Linking to Between Naps on the Porch: Met Monday.

Jeanine

You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. I bought a pair of white kids skates and used christmas ribbon in the laces. love them so much
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love skates in Christmas decor. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly would've never have thought of ice skates but it makes perfect sense! Great idea doll

    ReplyDelete
  4. To stinkin cute, I want a pair:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! They had a black one here in the antique mart {the one that is close to me} with a snowman painted on it and they wanted $50.00 for it! Craziness! It wasn't even that pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skates are gorgeous. :)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. so gorgeous! i love all your vintage christmas ideas : )
    new follower
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanine,
    How stunning! There's just something about ice skates that says...vintage and winter! Thanks for your visit and sweet comment. I'll look forward to seeing you again, soon!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, talk about great lighting! Great shots!
    Thank you for the visit!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just ordered some from Etsy, trying to be patient until they come, yours look wonderful. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved decorating with ice skates and old sleds, you have done a wonderful job, so cute!
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea to paint them...I'll never pass up another pair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cute. I need to find me some skates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning.

    This deco give more a spirit of Christmas and the winter time.

    Had this deco couple of years ago, but my scates are so old.

    Happy Monday.
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  16. my goodness...I am sporting ice skates in my Christmas decorations too! I LOVE them. Yours are just wonderful. I saw some at the Salvations Army store and I should have bought them.. They really are a sweet addition aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also love the trim around the skates as well as your newly acquired pair!
    great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me - thank you!