My First Attempt Using Waterslide Decal Paper

by - January 15, 2013

I've been super curious about using waterslide decal paper in my crafts.  As luck would have it, my boys needed it for their Cub Scout derby cars.  I found some on eBay and put aside a few sheets for them and for myself.  I tried it last night and I can tell you, I'm already hooked!

I used this thrift store terrarium that I picked up last week.  It was black but I gave it some coats of white paint over the weekend. 
To do the waterslide method, you, of course need the special paper.  I bought inkjet sheets for mine.  I printed this wonderful image from the Graphics Fairy onto the sheet.  No need to reverse or mirror the image for this paper.
I gave it a couple of coats of clear spray paint to seal in the image.  Once your spray paint is dry, fill a shallow bowl with water.  Put your image in for 1 minute.  Mine curled at first so I had to hold it down.  I also wasn't sure how the decal came off so I started trying to peel the white paper.  Nope, the decal is a see-through film so that's what you're looking to separate from the paper backing.
Peel the film from the backing - be careful because it curls rather quickly.  Add it to your surface and use a sponge to work out the air bubbles.  That took a little time and my corners kept folding under but I carefully unfolded them so everything sat flush.

I have to say I love this method more than the Mod Podge method which I just haven't been able to master.  I have a few more sheets left and I can't wait to brainstorm some new places to use them.  Email me if you need any more tips!

Linking to The Graphics Fairy: Brag Monday.

Jeanine

You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. I am so glad you found my blog and left me a message. I love your blog, and your Etsy shop is so cute. I could spend hours there. You are amazing and totally inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty terrarium! The image fits the bottom perfectly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love your terrarium! I must say this is my favorite all time project of yours! I would love to try the water slide method, though it does sound confusing. Maybe I'll get brave some day and give it a whirl. The image you used is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wondered about using those decals, thanks for sharing. Your project is really cute...perfect to share over at our Country Whites Weekend this Friday.
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never attempted a transfer. I think I like the printer ready sheets. Your terrarium is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great that new products keep popping up for us crafters to try new methods and get amazing results like your pretty terrarium.
    I love your blog and tutorial, thanks.
    xoxo
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me - thank you!