Saturday, April 6, 2013

Upcycled Tool Carrier

Happy Saturday!  Hope your weekend is off to a great start!  The sun is shining, the birds are singing and I was able to get some painting done.
This little tool carrier is from Michael's.  I bought it a couple of years ago.  It originally said blossom.  Sadly, it got a little dingy over the years so I gave it a fresh coat of paint yesterday.
Since I painted over the blossom, I added two chalkpaper tags - one on each side.  I used my Cricut and a roll of chalkpaper.  Quick and easy!
I added a painted book I did (more in the works!) with some vintage French poetry pages, some painted peat pots and an embellished bottle I've posted about before.
The sides were missing a little something, so I added this great grain image from The Graphics Fairy.  It's one of my favorites.  I've used it on tea towels and a few other projects.
I printed the image out onto waterslide decal paper and gave it a few coats of clear spray paint to seal the image.  Within a few minutes, I dunked it in water and peeled off my labels to put on each side.
The best part about this project?  I had everything I needed!  Some of you have inquired about the decal paper.  I bought mine off of eBay for about $9 for 10 sheets.  Believe me, it's worth it!

Linking to: The Graphics Fairy: Brag Monday and Between Naps on the Porch: Met Monday.

Jeanine

9 comments:

Kathy Moreland said...

I have the same little tote. Mine says "Spring". I haven't painted over it yet. Probably will though. I'm going to try the decal paper. Sounds like it's easy! Thanks for sharing. Come over and see the BIG tote I found today!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Jeanine, thanks so much for stopping by, what a pleasure to meet you! I'm enjoying your blog and this great post. Love how you've refreshed the tote, I can imagine so many gorgeous vignettes using this. I'd like to have you post to the linky party, we'd love to have you.
Hugs,
Patti

elizabeth said...

I have so many little wooden totes and caddies and tool boxes, etc. Each time I see another shape or style I want it! Love your transformation. Also, thanks for your kind comment on my mantel changes.

Barbara Jean said...

cuuute!!

blessings
barb

~ Liz ~ said...

I've never heard of the decal paper, but it sounds wonderful. I'm all for making transfers easier!
Your caddy turned out so sweet!
Liz

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Love it:)Happy Brag Monday.
Hugs,
Marie

MaytagNMom said...

Another great project Okio B! You freshened it up just in time for spring, and loving the GF image on the end- that one is a fave of mine too:)

Visiting from Brag Monday @ GraphicsFairy and wishing you a lovely Spring day. :)
Smiles, Suz@MaytagNMom
Illinois

On Crooked Creek said...

Jeanine,
Love, LOVE, L O V E your tool caddy make~over, dear one!!!
I have two that "Mr.Ed" make for me ...one is painted a pale shade of grey, the other is stained with golden oak!!! I enjoy seeing how others use them in their home decor with various accessories and vignettes!!!
Keep watching for someone to begin a linky. . .Tool Caddy Tuesdays / OR / Tool Caddies on the Twos...don't you think it would be GREAT fun???
Fondly,
Pat

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Tres chic!